Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sydney

I've never had the slightest interest in visiting Australia. It's not like I've actively taken against it (unlike Thailand, for example – last place on earth I want to go, disease torn/war zones obviously excluded), it just always elicted a response of 'meh' when mentioned. Yes, there is sun – I love sun, despite how it hates me. There are beaches – I like these in theory more than practise, sand in my birkies being a long-held aggravation. There are surf boys – hmmm, whatever. Other places have sun and sand and surf boys, like Hawaii. Hawaii might be cool. It'd probably have shopping as well. I only came to Sydney because I knew some people there and my travel agent said it didn't cost anything extra to stop off, and it broke up the flight.

{Aside – wtf is a wobegong? oh, they haven't actually called an animal a woebegone, have they? I find it hard to believe something that silly tried to eat a surfer. It is quite woeful.}

First day in Sydney involved an early dim sum breakfast with some very excitable children, followed by general mooching around being shown some key sights by the now local Sadhbh, my very gracious hostess for the few days.

The Opera House really is spectacular, I first saw it from The Rocks and the next day from Mrs. Mcqauries chair, so got both sides. I had a nice walk through the Botanic Gardens and went to the art gallery (one good Reubens self-portrait and a pretty Monet, but then all Monets are pretty aren't they? but in general a fairly dull collection other than some of the modern stuff which is interesting, two Gilbert & Georges in particular standing out – whether for the shock factor or the artistic value I'm not sure. Through the wonders of Facebook i met up with Brian for lunch and a trip to Wildlife World, where we saw many insects and an ENORMOUS crocodile. Oh and kangaroo dangly bits – they are super dangly.

In general though while I couldn't say Sydney was a disappointment given my lack of interest in it before going, I had hoped it would change my mind and impress me, but it really didn't.

The most obvious failing of Sydney is that the shopping is pathetic. Not a big deal for many, I know, but fairly critical for me; it is my major hobby after all. I didn't actually look at shoes, since I definitely do not have space for more shoes. There seems to be two types of clothes other than the usual top-end designer stuff: firstly, stuff similar to Swamp (and its ilk, you know the crappy shop in the local shopping centre, full of synthetic fabrics and poor stitching) where a top costs between 20 and 40 dollars and then Australian brands where a top costs 200 dollars. That's the guts of one hundred and fifty euro for something that sits somewhere between Oasis and Monsoon. I have been informed that the first Zara store just opened – it will clean up. Big time – Zara is an astonishing brand as it is* but it has not so much as a button of competition in Sydney. I wanted three things (as previously mentioned) none of which were difficult in a sunny summer city, or so you would think; ¾ length shorts, a t-shirt or two and a summer dress. I thought the shorts would be simple, in the actual home of Billabong and possibly Quiksilver and Rip Curl (fact check required). But no. Sigh.

* Reminds me, I saw a fascinating book in the Christchurch library about fashion branding I really must hunt down when I get home

No comments:

Post a Comment