Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stray Day 7 - Invercargill

Today started early with a 6am departure from Gunn's Camp (hope I never see that place again) and a rush to Bluff to get the guys on the 1030 ferry to Stewart Island. i would have liked to have gone over but it was too expensive and to get value you need to stay a few nights, which I do not have. We took a 'nice walk' up to Stirling Point. It was very pretty but unexpectedly steep so quite the work out. Then on to our hostel in Invercargill, Tuatura Lodge. First time on the top bunk, it feels quite precarious up here. Every tap of the keyboard makes the whole thing wobble!

I'm pretty sure the zombie apocalypse has already happened in Invercargill, but the zombies are boy racer shaped (the soundtrack to this post is roaring modified exhausts). There is nothing to do here. There is nobody here. The pub recommended in Lonely Planet doesn't open on Sundays. The streets are deserted. The girl in the supermarket was completely incompetent, I think her brain was already eaten.

There is a lovely park – so man of the towns have nice parks with flower gardens and fountains and so on – with an aviary and a little animal enclosure. There are some giant guinea pigs and even more giant wild pigs, and a stag with huge antlers, but they all looked a bit depressed and didn't do much. I had Hell pizza for dinner, had to be done at least once in the home country of Hell (more brain eaten staff though – I hope we get out in one piece).

1 comment:

  1. Good job I wasn't there so... I'd be going zompocalypse with a shotgun!

    I do stay up at night worrying about what would my plan be for the zombie out break.

    What was the Hell pizza like?

    ReplyDelete