Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hamilton March 12th

Every time I said I was going to Hamilton, people looked at me like I was crazy. Admittedlyin Blenheim I had read a column in the Sunday paper that mentioned the age-old question of whether going to Hamilton was like being dead (or something) but I had to go – it was all part of the Richie-stalking... I mean rugby-watching schedule. Chiefs vs. Crusaders in the Waikato Stadium at 1935 – my stay in Hamiltron (lol @ morgue) would last a mere 19 hours.

The bus journey was uneventful, for a change we had a nice cheerful driver (props to Stan) on the 'real' bus (as opposed to Stray). This one was Intercity, as the times suited better than the cheaper nakedbus. I think it was $22 vs. $12 but nakedbus would have trapped me there longer. I went YHA again – ten minutes from the transport centre my ass. On a bicycle maybe. It was closer to 25, and with all my stuff that's a painful walk. Anyway, got there, dude was the most Irish looking Kiwi I have ever seen and, well, there was something I couldn't put my finger on but I thought he was a bit lairy I guess. Meh. For those of you who have cast a scornful eye over the bedroom in my flat, let me now inform you that for NZ$55 (or 45 if you are me) you can stay in a smaller bedroom, with a sink outside the door. The whole place is a strange set-up, it feels a bit like someone took their mother's house and subdivided the rooms until they got a motel. There was a washing machine/dryer IN the lounge. The kitchen was a mess and I wouldn't trust the cleaning. But it was less than 5 minutes walk to the stadium so score on that front – no scary long dark trek back unlike Christchurch.

I left just before 630 with the intention of going to Subway, but that was on the opposite side of an enormous intersection and I just got frustrated with the lights. Foolish – I ended up paying stadium prices for crap food. As I was walking into the ground, the Chiefs were doing a haka to the Gallagher stand – pity I missed that. It may have had something to do with a player called Liam Messenga, but I don't know. Poor kid was up against Richie (playing in the unfamiliar number 6 jersey) and was all hyped up and his supporters were in that stand so obviously he got trashed in the first five minutes and had to go off.

As in Christchurch, the world cup money is flowing so there was also a brand new stand here (the Brian Perry, I think) but behind one goal is the Embankment. This is an embankment. Grass with those things for leaning on. I haven't seen the like in years. I can't imagine the chaos if we or say the Scots end up down there for a big WC game – it was enough of a party with the high school kids and students, I really wanted to be in there! But my seat was good, so close I could smell the turf – 7 rows from the pitch and only 2 behind the Crusaders bench. Good position for checking out Richie during the warm-up (man he has a long routine) but not so good for photos (could you not just stop moving) and not a great view of Carter. Seriously, Carter isn't in Richie's league in terms of superstardom over here, perhaps the trip to France has tainted him or something but they all – opposition fans included – go crazy for Richie but don't seem that pushed about pretty boy Daniel.

The game itself was once again riddled with errors, I thought by this stage things would have improved by the Super 14s isn't Heineken cup standard by any stretch of the imagination. It does show that the international teams are far greater than the sum of their parts though. The Crusaders scrum half walked in two tries – I can only assume it was because he was so short he was below their eyeline – but the game was just kicking kicking kicking. I've never seen so many garryowens in my life. It was a bit dire, though Donald did get an amazing kick to touch almost the length of the field. There was a load of penalties for offside, and the scrum couldn't stand up for all the tea in China (the screen seemed to have offside or incorrect binging on it for the whole game) but Carter missed a couple so Chiefs were back in with a shot, but ultimately didn't pull it off. Sivivatu was complete shite by the way. I'm sure by June they'll all be kick-ass monsters again though.

There were a couple of funny incidents – Richie got a telling off for dangerous play that anyone else would have got binned for (I'm not sure how he got the leverage but he managed to dump someone on their head by tackling them below their knees) – it must be great being the king of New Zealand really. Sean 'hands like feet' Maitland (seriously these two wingers cannot keep the ball in hand with any consistency, it is very annoying, but at least Maitland is less of a glory hound than Zac wotsit) was taken off, and someone behind me shouted 'tough love pretty boy' or some such, and he popped his head up and gave them a big grin – I can indeed confirm he is a pretty, pretty boy. And apparently has a sense of humour! Lots of the Crusaders players did autographs but of course Richie and Dan Carter sped off the pitch, saving themselves for Christchurch I guess. They must be sick of it really, they get mobbed (I said Carter's star wasn't as bright these days, but he is obviously still really popular, I just wasn't expecting Richie to be so much more popular) and the rest of the lads can wander around and have a bit of a laugh. Chiefs were off down the pub for a meet and greet, which seemed mad to me, but I guess they were in a VIP area or whatever.

Back to the hostel where my neighbour played random music very loudly and in a very strange manner. The sound quality was crap, and he'd only play about half a song before taking a break and then repeating. It was very odd. And he charged in and out of the room a few times. There was loud music from elsewhere, sounded like a band or something, and the traffic noise was bad so things did not bode well for a good sleep. I watched some show about spies? that work in a hardware store? i don't know. Jayne from Firefly was in it. Oh and Simon as well. It was WEIRD and had a distinct Ugly Betty vibe. Anyone know what it is? Also saw an ad for Grey's – what has Heigl done to her head? That's some mean revenge by the producers for her antics, giving her world's worst haircut.

Next morning was uneventful other than the crisis where the BNZ machine seemed to have crashed with my card in, but it eventually copped itself on after giving me a good solid panic attack. I had a look around the shops as I don't think my skanky clothes are going to cut the mustard in BA (I've been living in my Cantos this week since it's been a bit colder) but couldn't make a decision. I guess I'll find stuff in BA itself – hence why I have decided to leave a day earlier than planned, before I buy too much! I have another couple of days there at the end.

Next stop, Auckland.

No comments:

Post a Comment